Trade Cases

US bans steel made with forced labor from Baowu subsidiary
Written by Laura Miller
October 8, 2024
The US has banned imports from a subsidiary of the world’s largest steelmaker because it allegedly uses forced labor to produce steel products.
The US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has added Baowu Group Xinjiang Bayi Iron and Steel Co. (Xinjiang Bayi) to its Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act (UFLPA) Entity List.
Xinjiang Bayi, which produces hot-rolled coil, plate, and rebar, is located in Ürümqi, Xinjiang, China. It was acquired by the Baosteel Group in 2007. When Baosteel merged with Wuhan Iron and Steel in 2016, it became China Baowu Steel Group. The group is now the largest steelmaker in the world, producing over 130 million metric tons in 2023.
The UFLPA, in place since December 2021, prohibits the importation of goods mined, produced, or manufactured wholly or in part with forced labor in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) of the People’s Republic of China.
“The United States government has reasonable cause to believe, based on specific and articulable information, that Xinjiang Bayi works with the government of the XUAR to recruit, transport, transfer, harbor, or receive Uyghurs, Kazakhs, Kyrgyz, or members of other persecuted groups out of the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region,” DHS said in a statement on Oct. 2.
The UFLPA list now includes 75 entities, mainly in the chemicals, apparel/textiles, and agricultural sectors. Xinjiang Bayi is the first steel company added to it.
DHS cautioned US importers to conduct due diligence and research their supply chains to determine any risks of forced labor.
“No sector is off-limits,” warned DHS Under Secretary for Policy Robert Silvers.
Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will deny entry to any goods or their components believed to be produced by these entities.
SMU received a tip earlier this year that a vessel carrying ~20,000 tons of Chinese tin plate was denied entry at a US port because it was unable to certify that the product was not made with forced labor. We were unable to confirm that rumor.

Laura Miller
Read more from Laura MillerLatest in Trade Cases

Tariff fallout: Canada strikes back, Stellantis idles, GM boosts production
Canada imposes auto tariffs, while automaker Stellantis temporarily idles some plants.

Commerce tags UAE with ‘critical circumstances’ in CORE trade case, South Africa spared
The Commerce Department has made a preliminary determination that ‘critical circumstances’ exist for certain imports of corrosion-resistant (CORE) flat-rolled steel from the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Commerce decided that critical circumstances did not apply to CORE from South Africa. The department also found that critical circumstances did not apply to CORE from UAE producers Al-Ghurair Iron & Steel LLC and United Iron & Steel Company LLC.

Trump’s ‘Liberation Day’ brings 10% baseline tariffs; steel, aluminum, and autos/parts excluded
President Trump’s promised “Liberation Day” has arrived, with a 10% minimum tariff on imports. But there are some very important exceptions: The United States’ USMCA partners, Canada and Mexico, are excluded from the reciprocal tariffs for now. In addition, steel, aluminum, as well as autos and auto parts are excluded from the reciprocal tariffs. That’s […]

Price on Trade: Auto tariffs, auto parts, and Hyundai – a world of rapid changes
Trump's new auto tariffs will apply to passenger vehicles (including sedans, sport utility vehicles, crossover utility vehicles, minivans, and cargo vans), light trucks, and certain automobile parts (including engines and engine parts, transmissions and powertrain parts, and electrical components).

CRU: Canacero urges Mexico-US partnership to fend off Asian steel imports
Victor Cairo, head of Mexico’s steel sector body Canacero and CEO of ArcelorMittal Mexico, says he is confident negotiations between the Mexican and US governments planned for April 2 will lead to the creation of a regional block to substitute imports, especially from Asia.