Steel Mills

USS to Indefinitely Idle No. 3 Blast Furnace at Edgar Thomson
Written by Michael Cowden
September 26, 2022
US Steel has decided to indefinitely idle the No. 3 blast furnace at its Mon Valley Works in western Pennsylvania following a roughly month-long maintenance outage.
“We expect planned maintenance on BF 3 to be completed and the furnace to be available for use this week. However, the furnace will remain down until market conditions improve,” a company spokeswoman said in an email to SMU on Monday, Sept. 26.
The statement was later revised to say the furnace would stay down “as we continue to balance our production with our order book.”
There are no layoffs associated with the idling, she added.
The Pittsburgh-based steelmaker took the No. 3 furnace offline on Aug. 30 for a shotcrete (sprayed concrete) reline and other maintenance. The outage had been pulled forward by more than a month. Sources had told SMU that the furnace was likely to remain idle after the work was complete.
That pattern – pulling forward maintenance first and then idling a plant – is not uncommon in a deteriorating steel market.
Mon Valley Works has two blast furnaces: No. 1 and No. 3. The No. 1 furnace has a daily ironmaking capacity of approximately 3,200 tons. The No. 3 furnace has a daily capacity of approximately 2,900 tons.
The furnaces are located at US Steel’s Edgar Thomson plant in Braddock, Pa. That facility makes slabs and rails them to the company’s Irvin Plant in West Mifflin, Pa., where they are rolled into sheet.
SMU has updated its blast furnace status table to reflect the idling of No. 3.
The idling means that US Steel is only operating one furnace each at its Mon Valley Works and at its Granite City Works near St. Louis. The company also announced earlier this month that it was idling the No. 8 furnace at its Gary Works in northwest Indiana. The result: US Steel is operating only five of its eight active blast furnaces.
The idlings at US Steel come after Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. restarted the C-5 furnace at its Cleveland Works in Ohio in August. The Cleveland-based steelmaker currently has seven furnaces operating – meaning there are now only a dozen active blast furnace in the US.
By Michael Cowden, Michael@SteelMarketUpdate.com, and David Schollaert, David@SteelMarketUpdate.com

Michael Cowden
Read more from Michael CowdenLatest in Steel Mills

Nippon could up investment in USS facilities to $7B: Report
It's the latest twist as the proxy battle heats up for Pittsburgh-based U.S. Steel.

Hybar expansion still on the table as Arkansas mill startup nears
As Hybar nears the completion of its $700-million rebar mill in Arkansas, the company said it is still “actively considering” building other steel facilities in the southern US.

Global steel production edges lower in February
February’s global raw steel output is tied with last December's for the fourth-lowest monthly production rate recorded over the past two years.

Fate of U.S. Steel hangs in the balance
The future of U.S. Steel remains unclear, but the proxy fight for control of the company is heating up. Shareholders will cast their votes on the company's future at the annual meeting in May.

Cliffs to idle Dearborn blast furnace, restart Cleveland furnace by July
Cleveland-Cliffs has decided to idle the steelmaking operations at its Dearborn Works in Michigan due to weak automotive demand.