Trade Cases

Trump Tightens Quota on Slabs from Brazil
Written by Tim Triplett
September 1, 2020
The Trump administration has announced a tightening of Brazil’s steel quota that will sharply reduce the tonnage of steel slabs imported into the U.S. for the rest of the year.
“In light of recent deterioration in market conditions brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic affecting domestic steel producers, the United States has deemed it necessary to reduce the remaining quota for Brazilian semifinished steel products for the remainder of 2020 to 60,000 metric tons, down from 350,000 tons, but will maintain existing quotas for other steel products,” said U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer. “The United States will hold consultations with Brazil about the semifinished steel quota for 2021 in December, by which time we hope market conditions will have improved.”
In 2018, Brazil agreed to a quota covering 70 percent of the country’s average finished steel exports to the U.S, in addition to a 100 percent quota on semifinished exports, including slabs and billets. The arrangement granted the country immunity from the 25 percent Section 232 tariff. So far, the country’s annual quota of 3.5 million metric tons of Brazilian semifinished steel remains unchanged for 2021.
The administration’s move to curb imports was endorsed by the American Iron and Steel Institute. “We appreciate the efforts of the administration to address steel import issues affecting American producers during this difficult time when the market for steel has declined significantly due to COVID-19,” said Kevin Dempsey, AISI interim president and CEO. “While we are seeing some modest recent improvement in market conditions, the industry continues to face significant challenges due to the sharp drop in demand this year as a result of the pandemic. So far in 2020, raw steel production is down 20 percent compared to the same period last year and steelmaking capacity utilization has only averaged approximately 66 percent, compared to nearly 81 percent during the same period last year. These difficult conditions make the industry even more vulnerable to surges in imports.”
(Editor’s note: See Leibowitz on Trade for further commentary on this subject.)

Tim Triplett
Read more from Tim TriplettLatest in Trade Cases

Tariff fallout: Canada strikes back, Stellantis idles, GM boosts production
Canada imposes auto tariffs, while automaker Stellantis temporarily idles some plants.

Commerce tags UAE with ‘critical circumstances’ in CORE trade case, South Africa spared
The Commerce Department has made a preliminary determination that ‘critical circumstances’ exist for certain imports of corrosion-resistant (CORE) flat-rolled steel from the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Commerce decided that critical circumstances did not apply to CORE from South Africa. The department also found that critical circumstances did not apply to CORE from UAE producers Al-Ghurair Iron & Steel LLC and United Iron & Steel Company LLC.

Trump’s ‘Liberation Day’ brings 10% baseline tariffs; steel, aluminum, and autos/parts excluded
President Trump’s promised “Liberation Day” has arrived, with a 10% minimum tariff on imports. But there are some very important exceptions: The United States’ USMCA partners, Canada and Mexico, are excluded from the reciprocal tariffs for now. In addition, steel, aluminum, as well as autos and auto parts are excluded from the reciprocal tariffs. That’s […]

Price on Trade: Auto tariffs, auto parts, and Hyundai – a world of rapid changes
Trump's new auto tariffs will apply to passenger vehicles (including sedans, sport utility vehicles, crossover utility vehicles, minivans, and cargo vans), light trucks, and certain automobile parts (including engines and engine parts, transmissions and powertrain parts, and electrical components).

CRU: Canacero urges Mexico-US partnership to fend off Asian steel imports
Victor Cairo, head of Mexico’s steel sector body Canacero and CEO of ArcelorMittal Mexico, says he is confident negotiations between the Mexican and US governments planned for April 2 will lead to the creation of a regional block to substitute imports, especially from Asia.