Steel Mills

Algoma Steel Predicts Significantly Lower Results in Current Quarter
Written by Laura Miller
September 28, 2022
Canadian flat-rolled steelmaker Algoma Steel Inc. expects results for its fiscal 2023 second quarter to be down significantly compared to prior quarters because of operational challenges, declining shipments, and lower prices.
In its latest earnings guidance, the Sault St. Marie, Ontario-based company said it expects fiscal ’23 Q2 adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization (EBITDA) to be in the range of Canadian $75 million to $80 million ($54.7 million USD to $58.4 million USD). This is a significant drop from the adjusted EBITDA of C$357.7 million achieved in the previous quarter and the C$334.4 million seen in fiscal ’22 Q4.
“Our projected fiscal second-quarter results largely reflect previously disclosed operational challenges, as well as the continued decline in prices for our finished products, both of which had a negative impact on overall profitability,” Algoma CEO Michael Garcia said.
Those various operational challenges resulted in a production shortfall during the quarter, Garcia said. Quarterly shipments are therefore expected to be 415,000 to 425,000 tons, down from 537,524 tons in fiscal Q1.
The most significant operational challenge the company is facing is the previously-disclosed delay of the second phase of its plate mill modernization project. Originally expected to be finished by November 2022, the project has now been pushed out until June 2023. The mill is currently operating above 80% capacity and “we believe most plate mill issues are behind us,” Garcia said.
“Temporary workforce availability events” negatively affected output on the company’s direct strip production complex during the current quarter as well.
In late August, a new, five-year labor deal was agreed upon between Algoma and the United Steelworkers (USW) union.
An August fire on Algoma’s coal conveyor resulted in added costs during the quarter. Internal coke production is expected to return to 100% capacity once repairs are finished in early October.
“Amid the challenges faced in the quarter, we continue to see steady demand for our products and are advancing the development and construction of our transformative electric arc furnace project, which remains on time and on budget for a mid-year 2024 start-up,” Garcia noted.
By Laura Miller, Laura@SteelMarketUpdate.com

Laura Miller
Read more from Laura MillerLatest in Steel Mills

Nippon could up investment in USS facilities to $7B: Report
It's the latest twist as the proxy battle heats up for Pittsburgh-based U.S. Steel.

Hybar expansion still on the table as Arkansas mill startup nears
As Hybar nears the completion of its $700-million rebar mill in Arkansas, the company said it is still “actively considering” building other steel facilities in the southern US.

Global steel production edges lower in February
February’s global raw steel output is tied with last December's for the fourth-lowest monthly production rate recorded over the past two years.

Fate of U.S. Steel hangs in the balance
The future of U.S. Steel remains unclear, but the proxy fight for control of the company is heating up. Shareholders will cast their votes on the company's future at the annual meeting in May.

Cliffs to idle Dearborn blast furnace, restart Cleveland furnace by July
Cleveland-Cliffs has decided to idle the steelmaking operations at its Dearborn Works in Michigan due to weak automotive demand.