Trade Cases

Tariff Relief On Then Off Again
Written by Sandy Williams
March 27, 2020
Relief for importers paying tariffs was just a short-lived illusion. U.S. Customs and Border Protection walked back a decision last week to provide extensions on tariff payments during the coronavirus crisis.
A notice sent on March 20 by CBP stated that it would “approve on a case by case basis additional days for payment of estimated duties, taxes and fees due this emergency.”
Yesterday a new bulletin was issued to “notify the trade community that CBP is no longer accepting requests for additional days for payment.”
CBP said it retains “the right to allow additional days for narrow circumstances including physical inability to file entry or payments, due to technology outages or port closures.” Any payments that were delayed following CBP’s initial announcement were now due to the agency by March 27.
No explanation was given for the change, but it did follow heavy lobbying by organizations that were against any let-up of tariff measures during the pandemic. President Trump also expressed his opposition to tariff relief in statements earlier this week.
On Wednesday, Trump signaled that he may move ahead with tariffs on the European Union. After complaining about regulations on EU medical devices that prevent the import of such devices from the U.S., Trump said the EU has treated the U.S. very unfairly on trade.
“They make it almost impossible for us to have a fair deal,” said Trump. “They know this. They know I am just waiting. We have all of the advantages, by the way. It is going to be easy when I decide to do it [tariffs], but this isn’t the right time to do it. But we have been treated very, very unfairly by the European Union.”
The administration is also considering an executive order prepared by trade advisor Peter Navarro that would require U.S. companies to reshore pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturing. Such a move is opposed the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the American Chamber of Commerce to the European Union.
“This is the worst possible time to try to dictate how companies should fulfill the needs of hospitals, doctors and patients who are desperately in need of their live-saving products,” said Marjorie Chorlins. Chamber senior vice president for European affairs.

Sandy Williams
Read more from Sandy WilliamsLatest in Trade Cases

Tariff fallout: Canada strikes back, Stellantis idles, GM boosts production
Canada imposes auto tariffs, while automaker Stellantis temporarily idles some plants.

Commerce tags UAE with ‘critical circumstances’ in CORE trade case, South Africa spared
The Commerce Department has made a preliminary determination that ‘critical circumstances’ exist for certain imports of corrosion-resistant (CORE) flat-rolled steel from the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Commerce decided that critical circumstances did not apply to CORE from South Africa. The department also found that critical circumstances did not apply to CORE from UAE producers Al-Ghurair Iron & Steel LLC and United Iron & Steel Company LLC.

Trump’s ‘Liberation Day’ brings 10% baseline tariffs; steel, aluminum, and autos/parts excluded
President Trump’s promised “Liberation Day” has arrived, with a 10% minimum tariff on imports. But there are some very important exceptions: The United States’ USMCA partners, Canada and Mexico, are excluded from the reciprocal tariffs for now. In addition, steel, aluminum, as well as autos and auto parts are excluded from the reciprocal tariffs. That’s […]

Price on Trade: Auto tariffs, auto parts, and Hyundai – a world of rapid changes
Trump's new auto tariffs will apply to passenger vehicles (including sedans, sport utility vehicles, crossover utility vehicles, minivans, and cargo vans), light trucks, and certain automobile parts (including engines and engine parts, transmissions and powertrain parts, and electrical components).

CRU: Canacero urges Mexico-US partnership to fend off Asian steel imports
Victor Cairo, head of Mexico’s steel sector body Canacero and CEO of ArcelorMittal Mexico, says he is confident negotiations between the Mexican and US governments planned for April 2 will lead to the creation of a regional block to substitute imports, especially from Asia.