Trade Cases

Automakers Tell Pence to Drop NAFTA Rules of Origin Proposal
Written by Sandy Williams
November 28, 2017
Detroit automakers met with Vice President Mike Pence and U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer on Monday to express concerns about the U.S. proposal on NAFTA automotive rules of origin.
General Motors Co. CEO Mary Barra, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles CEO Sergio Marchionne and Ford Motor Co. Executive Vice President and President of Global Operations Joe Hinrichs told Pence, Lighthizer and National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn that increasing the minimum percentage of parts for autos manufactured in North America could add thousands of dollars to the price of vehicles for consumers.
The U.S. has proposed that the minimum percentage of NAFTA parts in North American-manufactured vehicles be increased from 62.5 percent to 85 percent. In addition, U.S. negotiators want 50 percent of automotive content to come from the United States.
Matt Blunt, President of the American Automotive Policy Council (AAPC), which lobbies for Ford, GM and Fiat Chrysler, said the face-to-face meeting was appreciated by the automakers. The automakers urged Pence to tell the president to focus on preventing currency manipulation rather than changing rules of origin.
“We believe achieving inclusion of strong and enforceable currency discipline and ensuring foreign markets accept products built to our standards are important components of a modern NAFTA agreement,” said Blunt in a statement following the meeting.
A spokesperson for Pence said, “The Vice President emphasized President Trump’s commitment to enact historic tax cuts that will enable companies to create jobs, raise wages and spur American innovation. The Vice President also discussed the President’s firm commitment to grow manufacturing in the United States, reduce trade deficits, and strengthen the U.S. auto industry.”
The fifth round of NAFTA negotiations concluded last week without much progress. Round six is scheduled for Jan. 23-28 in Montreal.

Sandy Williams
Read more from Sandy WilliamsLatest in Trade Cases

Tariff fallout: Canada strikes back, Stellantis idles, GM boosts production
Canada imposes auto tariffs, while automaker Stellantis temporarily idles some plants.

Commerce tags UAE with ‘critical circumstances’ in CORE trade case, South Africa spared
The Commerce Department has made a preliminary determination that ‘critical circumstances’ exist for certain imports of corrosion-resistant (CORE) flat-rolled steel from the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Commerce decided that critical circumstances did not apply to CORE from South Africa. The department also found that critical circumstances did not apply to CORE from UAE producers Al-Ghurair Iron & Steel LLC and United Iron & Steel Company LLC.

Trump’s ‘Liberation Day’ brings 10% baseline tariffs; steel, aluminum, and autos/parts excluded
President Trump’s promised “Liberation Day” has arrived, with a 10% minimum tariff on imports. But there are some very important exceptions: The United States’ USMCA partners, Canada and Mexico, are excluded from the reciprocal tariffs for now. In addition, steel, aluminum, as well as autos and auto parts are excluded from the reciprocal tariffs. That’s […]

Price on Trade: Auto tariffs, auto parts, and Hyundai – a world of rapid changes
Trump's new auto tariffs will apply to passenger vehicles (including sedans, sport utility vehicles, crossover utility vehicles, minivans, and cargo vans), light trucks, and certain automobile parts (including engines and engine parts, transmissions and powertrain parts, and electrical components).

CRU: Canacero urges Mexico-US partnership to fend off Asian steel imports
Victor Cairo, head of Mexico’s steel sector body Canacero and CEO of ArcelorMittal Mexico, says he is confident negotiations between the Mexican and US governments planned for April 2 will lead to the creation of a regional block to substitute imports, especially from Asia.